Explainer videos are a hot tool anyone can use to explain anything they want!
Marketers love them because they use them for branding, product promotion, corporate image, and building relationships.
The explainer video is short, simple, and easy to understand, which is important! You want your viewer to understand exactly how your business benefits them.
You might not have the fanciest or most interesting subject matter, but a little creativity goes a long way.
In this guide, you’ll see the different types of explainer videos you can create, along with tips, examples, ideas, and inspirations.
Dive right into the world of explainer videos with 17 Examples of Fabulous Explainer Videos from Hubspot!
More on explainer videos:
- Why an Explainer Video?
- 17 Examples of Fabulous Explainer Videos
- Explainer Video from Torch7
- Explainer Video Hits the Mark
- How to Create an Explainer Video
Types of Explainer Videos:
Company History Videos
At some point, you hope that people will be so interested in your company that they want to find out how it all began.
Company history videos are what they’re looking for.
Did your business start as a campfire discussion with some friends? Tell that story to your curious customers!
This is a type of explainer video that explains your company’s concept. In a couple minutes, your video will tell them who you are and how you can benefit them.
It will leave them informed and entertained, and hopefully ready to buy what you’re selling!
Here are some other ways you can use your company history video:
- Play it on the big screen at celebrations or anniversaries
- Show it at conferences or award ceremonies
- Sent it to clients and investors to help build relationships and earn their support
- Send it to your staff so they can show their friends and family the company they work for
- Post it on the company website and social media properties
Here are some links that will help you tell your company’s story:
- 7 Great Examples of Company History Videos
- How to Tell your Company’s Story in 90 Seconds
- (Video) Lego Connects the Pieces of Its History in Animated Short
- 6 Awesome Examples of Leveraging Corporate History in Brand Storytelling
- 3 Stellar Examples of Corporate Anniversary Marketing
Explainer Project Videos
If you’re launching a project, an explainer video is an ideal tool to get people to understand your project and, most importantly, how they can use it or help contribute to your project.
The project video about the wind-powered land mine remover illustrates the project in a way that it easy for anyone to understand.
The video itself is labelled as a short documentary, but if you think about it, documentaries are basically long, detailed explainer videos.
More common these days are shorter project videos like the ones we see on fundraising platforms like Kickstarter and GoFundMe where an excellent video could mean the difference between making it and going broke.
Kickstarter says that “Projects with videos succeed at a much higher rate than those without (50% vs. 30%).”
Even companies with Google, who aren’t exactly strapped for cash, are making project videos because they help to raise awareness for something that will ultimately benefit the greater good.
Here’s a quick explainer about Google’s Project Loon:
Check out these resources, tips, and examples of project videos (and peruse vids on Kickstarter for ideas and inspiration)
- Kickstarter’s Tips for Making Your Project Video
- (Video) 5 Tips for Making a Crowdfunding Video
- 10 Tips for a Winning Kickstarter Video
- How To Make A Crowdfunding Video That Works (by Forbes)
Promotional Explainer Video (Also a Product or Service Showcase Video)
Need to show people exactly what your service entails? Use a promotional explainer video to get the word out and drum up some interest.
Explainer videos are especially good for product promotion if your product is complicated, or if it has more features or uses than it seems.
I bet most of us didn’t know you could clean oil spill off ducks with dish soap until Dawn showed us in their commercials!
Use your promotional skills to outline all the ways your product or service will benefit your viewer.
Online shoppers who view demo videos are 1.81x more likely to purchase than non-viewers (DMB Adobe)
As a bonus, when a customer makes the purchase, they already know how to use the product or what to expect from your service.
Learn more about product videos: Examples, resources, and ideas listed below.
- Six Creative Examples of Product Videos to Inspire your Efforts
- What is a Product Video?
- 8 Animated Product Videos that Really Work
- 20 Stunning Animated Product Demo Video Examples
Styles of Explainer Videos
With explainer videos, you have the option to do them in any style you want!
As outlined in 7 Animation Styles, there are many common styles of video that help you explain your company, product, history, etc.
Cartoon Style Explainer Video
3D or 2D animation is great for storytelling because you can use characters to personify and humanize your brand. This helps build trust and familiarity.
You can use either 2D or 3D for the entire video, or combine the two styles.
Related – 3D Animation by Torch7
Motion Graphics is digital technique that combines pictures, words, sound, and video. Often real video is combined with graphic still images and animation to help bring your words to life with action-packed effects.
Here’s an explainer video for online marketing from Nyche Marketing made using motion graphics:
Whiteboard Animation Explainer Video
Whiteboard animated explainer videos are a trendy tool to help people understand complex ideas, products, or services.
You can also combine whiteboard animation with 2D animation as seen in realtor Nichola Elise’s “Coffee to Keys” video:
Rotoscoping for Explainer Video
Rotoscoping is an animation technique where animators trace over footage using a software program with a rotoscoping tool.
This creates a hand-drawn effect that can look like stop-animation.
Check out the effect in this student video called, “Rainbow Crab.”
Find out which explainer video style works best for your business:
- 14 Amazing Types of Explainer Videos
- How Different Styles of Explainer Video Tell a Unique Story
- What’s the Best Animation Style for an Explainer Video?
- How to Choose the Style for Your Animated Explainer Video
BONUS SECTION: How to Measure the Performance of your Explainer Video
View count isn’t the only way to measure the success of your video. With tools like YouTube Insight, you can see who’s viewing your video, how long they viewed and run other reports like these:
- Device type
- Date or time frame
- Subscriber status
- Playback type (live or on demand)
With feedback like this, you’ll learn more about who likes your content and, more importantly, your company and products.
For even more data, set up Google Analytics. Here’s a guide to using Google Analytics for Video.
Explainer Videos come with Benefits!
Explainer videos are great for so many reasons. A great one will help your business by
- Helping you make the sale by increasing conversions
- Improving SEO search rankings because Google values video content
- Keeping viewers on your page for more time
- Spreading the word about your business (highly sharable)
- Being versatile. You can use them in many different ways (like the company history video mentioned earlier in this article)
In short, the explainer video is versatile and very effective!
Aberdeen Group, a market research company, reported that “Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.”
Simply put, videos can make you money!
Get Started on your Explainer Video Today!
Did you like some of the examples of explainer videos and all the different types of explainer videos you can make?
The options are endless!
I hope you found this guide useful and inspiring, so that starting to plan your own explainer is fun and easy.
Bookmark this article so you can refer to it later or send it to a friend to help them out.
What are your favourite explainer videos?
Let me know what your favourite explainer videos are in the comments!